Wednesday, May 14, 2014

With Heavy Heart

Often I hear of tragic stories, or experiences and have no way to relate. Some of these heart wrenching stories, make me just want to sob. One of these stories broke this morning. As I stood in my home this morning, watching and listening to the ambulance and emergency personnel fly by. My husband and I commented that it must be bad, we heard non-stop sirens for about 15 minutes. It wasn't until I finally arrived to work this morning I found out what happened. It truly makes me feel more and more blessed for my health and happiness. We are so fortunate that none of our loved ones were directly involved. Although the accident may effect us in some ways, we are all safe. It breaks my heart to hear of those who personally deal with tragedy. Many of us take each day for granted. With a heavy heart, I'm now realizing the value to each day. We never know when our time will come to an end, or what exactly our Heavenly Father has in store for us. I know we each have a plan, and maybe this is part of those individuals plan - but it doesn't go without sorrow, and remorse. I bow my head and pray every moment I can for the safety, and peace to be with these families who were directly involved.
 
 
3 dead as multi-car crash closes Highway 59                            
 

Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 8:51 am
               
Three people are dead and others are injured after an eight-vehicle crash involving a mine bus at about 7:30 a.m. Wednesday about 15 miles south of Gillette, according to officials.

Wyoming Highway Patrol Lt. Will Zilka confirmed Wednesday morning that three people had died in the accident, but he would not confirm their ages or genders.

He said the crash involved seven vehicles and a bus carrying mine-related personnel. No passengers on the bus died or were seriously hurt, he said.
Traffic in the northbound lane was stopped waiting for a pilot car to lead vehicles through a construction zone. A Powder River Transportation bus was traveling north, failed to slow and hit the line of stopped cars, according to a press release from the Wyoming Department of Transportation. 
The fatalities were in two separate vehicles, and injured people riding in at least two other cars were transported from the scene by ambulance, according to the release. It is unknown why the bus failed to slow down. 
Zilka estimated that three to five people were transported to Campbell County Memorial Hospital, but he was not certain of the extent of their injuries or exactly where they were being taken.
As of press time at noon, Highway 59 remained closed, and Zilka had no estimation for when it would re-open.
He said the Highway Patrol has had contact with witnesses and with people on the scene and is investigating the accident.
Officials are asking people in the area to be patient as they work to get traffic moving and for people to find alternative routes around the accident.
The accident happened in a construction zone near mile marker 99, Sheriff Bill Pownall said. 
Calls to Powder River Transportation were not returned by press time.  
For updates on the story, visit www.gillettenewsrecord.com.
 
 
 
I know there are probably many that are lost and afraid today. I hope the Spirit will lead and guide each individual through this trial. Although we may never know the full story, or although the public may not hear the full extent, I have faith that everything happens for a reason. Christ does not put us here on earth as punishment, or to suffer. Sometimes, there are horrible mistakes, and accidents, and many will feel the extent of these emotions, but I too feel not only for those injured, lost, or suffering, but those who respond to emergencies such as this, the construction crew on the scene and what they witnessed, I feel for the drivers of the other vehicles, those who wait at home anxiously waiting to hear any news from their loved ones. I feel for the mine, and the loss they potentially suffered. I feel for the bus driver, and the remorse that they must feel. Like I mentioned I know nothing about the extent of the accident, just what has been reported by the Wyoming Department of Transportation and State Officials. Being a former Bus driver, and seeing many accidents on the highway, I can't help but feel heartache to be a driver involved. As Bus drivers, we are solely responsible for our equipment and our passengers. In the event that we endanger either, with that comes strong emotions of regret, reflection, and remorse. I can only imagine the weight on the shoulders of someone who was involved in a collision involving their equipment. I don't know the root cause of the accident, and may never know. But I do know personally if I were the driver, I too would want prayers lifted up for me, as I would struggle through tears of pain, and regret. Now say it isn't the bus drivers fault - even then, I would hope that someone out there would be praying for me, and my healing and recovery processes. So today, I will pray hard. I will pray for my family, and friends. I will pray for their continued safety and health. I will pray for families effected by this tragic accident today. That they might in some way find peace, compassion and understanding in the hearts. I will pray for those injured, that they may recover how the lord see's fit. I will pray for peace in their minds as they deal with the struggle. I will then pray for those lives lost, that their families might too reach a point of acceptance, love and compassion for those around. I will pray that special blessings be placed on their heads as they sort through their emotions. I will pray also for any companies and state officials involved, that Heavenly Father will continue to bless and aid them, as they handle this event with the utmost priority and care. I will pray for my Husband, to ease his mind, and bring peace to his heart as well. I have been so incredibly blessed, again, to not be directly involved. I pray for the well being of each individual today, and I also pray for their understanding. I know it's hard for me to put myself in any others shoes when I've been harmed - but maybe taking a step back is what everyone needs to do.
 
We all need to slow down. Be more thankful. Love harder, and be loved more in return. Accept the unacceptable. Pray, and pray again. When we think we've done just enough, we need to do more.
 
These are my thoughts on tragedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment