I got ready for work in the morning, listening to the radio. I had heard on the news the night before that the atmosphere was expected to be very unstable, and that storms were highly likely. As I listened to the meteorologists talk about the movement of the storm, and how it was forming, I couldn't help but wonder - would I be safe at work if a tornado came?
When I arrived to work, I mentioned to everyone what the morning news was saying. To this, most kept saying, "it's nothing to worry about, they always try to freak people out before a storm arrives." I brushed off their comments but in the back of my head I kept wondering, would we be safe here if a tornado came? I text Brad and asked where he was working that afternoon. He responded he was near where the storm was forming, and he was listening to the radio. He told me to stay calm but there was a likely tornado forming. I have been warned by him to not freak out until he does. He was still relatively calm so I wasn't too concerned - yet.
Then, I was delayed for lunch because I was on the phone with the worlds most particular customer. He wanted to know every measurement of this left hand tub we carry. When I was talking to him, I started noticing all the employee's running around, and directing people. My manager Tifani walked up to me and asked me to tell the guy on the phone I was being told we had to take cover, and I would call him back later when the storms had subsided. I hung up the phone, helped round up a few more customers and headed to our training room in the back of the building. All the employees and customers gathered watching the news coverage of a tornado touching down just outside Newcastle, OK. As we watched, several pointed out landmarks of where the tornado was passing through. As the helicopter called out streets and landmarks as well, I kept thinking - okay, it's passed my house. Okay, it's not headed our direction. Panic set in although I knew I was not in dangers direct path. I kept thinking of all those poor children who were just getting out of school. Mothers there in the room with us were trying to get through to their homes, and their children's cell phones to make sure they were safe. The cell service was terrible, not only because towers were taken out, but also because EVERYONE was on their phones trying to find their loved ones. It was so terrifying, to think that in one instant, you could lose everything. Luckily, with modern day technology, most had enough warning to escape danger. We listened as the news covered the damage caused by this F5 tornado, that would go down in history as the most destructive on record.
They released me from work once we were let out of the safe room. I headed home to see if we had power. We did, although we had no water - and wouldn't for a few days. It took Brad twice as long to get home from work with all the traffic.
Picture of the news broadcast from our training room
The tornado picking up speed
The timeline of the tornado and it's damaging winds
Tracks of the destructive tornadoes that have crossed our area the past 15 years.
It was one of the most tragic and terrifying days. I felt helpless, and so alone. As my husband was at work, I just wanted him by my side, assuring me that everything is ok. We are so blessed to have both escaped this storm, and our hearts and prayers go out to all those effected. I will wait to here what the ward/stake and work will do to help those in need, and with any luck, I will get to offer a helping hand as well. We love Oklahoma, it's just a shame that the uncertainty of safety on a daily basis is always in the back of our mind. Thank goodness for technological advances to track and prepare for these storms. I'm not sure how we would have fared otherwise.
.jpeg)



No comments:
Post a Comment