A week after the storm, Home Depot organized a service opportunity for those individuals available to go out into our community and volunteered. We had about 15 from our store that participated - for a total of about 375 employees that came out to help. They began the day with a little thank you, and organization. They then handed out tools to each team, and sent us into the community with work orders. Basically, each family needing help filled out a form of what they needed. Whether it be sorting debris, chopping trees down, tarping roofs, or just being there to clean their yard, we did it. We were given addresses. It was so hard to find some of the homes, because most were just piles of debris. It was hard to take, almost unbelievable. It hadn't set in, almost as if the shock was still there. I have never seen anything like it, but I had mentally prepared for a hard, yet rewarding day.
Employee's from my store (#3901) getting ready to head out to work
We loaded up the vehicles with our tools, and coolers of water, and drove to the first site. On the way, I snapped a few photos. Anytime we saw a struggling family, I put my phone down. It is still a sensitive time for many, and I feared taking photographs would only makes ones hardship, that much harder to bare. We saw all the rubble, cars that literally didn't look like they were ever in one piece, boards literally stabbed into the sides of building, and metal wrapped around trees. It was amazing to see the destruction these high force winds can cause, and yet you look around and see the individuals whom were effected. We all knew someone who was involved, and because of that, it was rewarding to be out helping while we could. The real work will also continue on into the rebuilding phases of these homes/neighborhoods. I cant wait for more opportunities to help these families in need.
A lot of homes had messages on the driveways or on the sides of their falling homes. Most offered hope, and faith to those who came to read their messages. Some said, "the sun will come out tomorrow" and "every little thing, is gonna be alright." In the midst of all the tragedy, some took the opportunity to reflect on their blessings, and how fortunate they were to escape the storm with their lives. This particular tornado took the lives of 24 individuals. 10 of which were at their school when the tornado came through. I actually had the opportunity to meet one of the children who was trapped in the Plaza Towers Elementary school... He had the most incredible story.
He told our group - as we worked alongside his family - that his teacher held him in her arms. They were gathered in a small axillary arts room, hunkered down. He said they were lifted into the air and forcefully put back down. He said they originally were on the north side of the school, and when all was said and done, the room was located in the gym. His mom noted that after the the winds died, she left her home, and ran straight through others properties towards the school. In shock of all the damage, she was only looking to find her son in safety. As she reached the school she waited with many other parents who were looking for their children. As first responders dug through the rubble children slowly started to emerge from the building.
As i listened to this families experience, I could only put myself in their shoes. What would I have done in this situation? How would I have felt? Again, this was a tough pill to swallow to hear their stories, but thankfully I also got to embrace them as they celebrated the fact that they are blessed to have lived.
The gentleman in the front in the white shirt was a homeowner. Our job at his home was to sort through his garage, and separate debris. He was (to put it kindly) a hoarder. He collected toys, and electronics, none of which he would part with. Understandably so, it's hard to look around and see everything you've worked so hard for being tossed away. But we kept everything, even water logged-molding clothes. But what we did do, was help tear down the garage, and sort out all the debris. The man in the blue shirt in the back of the picture is Marvin Ellison. He is the Executive Vice President of Home Depot. He came out to thank the employee's for giving back to the community, and meet each of us. It was awfully kind of him to come support, and see his employee's hard at work.
The rubble goes on for miles. It was being referred to as the war-zone.
Later in the evening, the news referred to the Home Depot employees as. "The Orange Army." But the neatest experience of the day was standing in the middle of the street after completing all our assignments, and looking around. As I pondered the circumstances, I commented to my manager Tifani who stood with me where the safest place in each home appeared to be. As we looked up the street, we saw a motorcycle with a cop coming our way, so we stepped to the side. As he passed, I smiled and waved and he went on by. A few moments later, we see him flip a u-turn, and headed back towards us. I looked at Tifani trying to recall if there was anything we did wrong. As the motorcycle approached, he killed it, and coasted to a stop. He then looked at us, and thanked us for coming out to help, and mentioned how wonderful it is to see our smiling faces as he passed by. He talked to us about the devastation they have experienced the passed few days, and what a relief it is to have so many compassionate people come out and lend a helping hand. I was honored to receive such a compliment. After he started the bike back up, and drove away, Tifani then commented how drawn people are to me, my smile, and my personality. I'm so happy that the Lord has blessed me with compassion and people-skills, and that it was able to offer comfort to one of the police officers attending to the wreckage.I hope my smiles also brought comfort to some of the families in the area as well.
I'm so grateful to be employed by a company that cares so much about their communities, and will do anything and everything to give back. It was awesome to see how many individuals who work for the company that were willing to come and volunteer their time to assist our area in our time of need.
.jpeg)
.jpeg)
.jpeg)
.jpeg)
.jpeg)
.jpeg)
.jpeg)
.jpeg)
.jpeg)
.jpeg)
No comments:
Post a Comment