Recently, I have been extremely grateful for opportunities to be a good wife. As Brad and I approach our one year Anniversary, I can't help but reflect on how much he does for me. If my back hurts, he not only brings me juice, messages my knots, lifts me off the couch, and draws me bubble baths. If I feel sick/or have a headache, he rubs my head till I fall asleep, and makes sure I have Tylenol and water by my bed, so I can take more if I wake in the middle of the night. He always makes sure my needs are taken care of, and consistently goes above and beyond to make me me feel his love and compassion.
So, Brad started a new job this week. It has been a really tough first week. He leaves every morning by 5:30 AM. Him having to wake so early is a hard adjustment all in itself. Not to mention, the physical labor behind his daily work has started to take a toll on his body. He comes home tired/exhausted and sore everyday! He mentioned tonight that he feel like he, "hasn't slept in weeks." My poor husband! I did wake with him the first two morning of the job to help him get out the door, and make sure he had all his necessary equipment. Sometimes the stress of a new job really take a toll on ones mind, and it's easy to forget the essentials. What I thought would help, would be to prepare his lunch and snacks the night before, so he would just have to put it in his bag in the morning.
First, I packed him PB&J's for the first two days. Along with a fruit, some chips, and lots of fluids (water, juice, etc.) The third day I packed a ham and cheese. He likes surprises though, and how many variations of a sandwich can I make! He doesn't really get a "lunch break." In order to get their work done at a decent hour, most choose to work through their breaks, so they eat out on the road. It has to be convenient food that he can just pull out of his backpack, and eat on the go. So, left overs are out of the question. After he goes to bed, I might make his favorite cookies and pack those for him, again - a surprise. Because our time together is limited each and every day, and I'm more accustomed to seeing him everyday all day long, it's been a hard adjustment to me to stay up past his bedtime alone. But it does help to selflessly service him and prepare his meal for the next day. I work hard to come up with new ideas, and cute notes to put in the fridge next to his lunch (to put a smile on his face). It give me a smile to think that every morning, when he opens that fridge to put his lunch in his back pack, he is excited to see what I have come up with the night prior.
Tonight, I went all out. He got a peeled orange, Apple Juice, Lemon Tea, Water, a BLT, and a soda. He needs lots of fluids. He keeps a bag of chips always in his bag, but because his hands are always so dirty, he prefers foods that he can hold on to the bag, or not touch the food directly (like chips.) Needless to say, it's my job as wife - to give of my time - to not only bring a smile to my husbands face each and every morning, but also fill that need of packing his lunches.
I'm not even tooting my own horn (TOOT) but it feels so great to be able to take care of my husband. This past year has flown by! In Alaska, I typically was working later then Brad, therefore he would take care of most our dinner meals. He loves to cook, and prefers that he cooks. But, now with him working, I get to cook every night, and pack his lunches. It is a blessing, and makes me appreciate more the title of wife!
Great practice I suppose for kids someday I suppose!
![]() |
| Brad's lunch all packed and waiting for him in the fridge! |
.jpeg)
No comments:
Post a Comment