Sunday, February 24, 2013

Spiritually Speaking



This Sunday I was asked by my friend Whitney to sub for her in nursery. She is expecting, and decided to go to Portland, OR this weekend to see her sister and mother. Her husband would be taking care of the lesson, and I was just to be in there to assist. I didn't know what to expect, in fact, when she initially asked - I felt somewhat put out. Not because I didn't want to help, but because I have been missing Relief Society so much. It's been just over month since I've been able to attend Relief Society, and I was so looking forward to attending today. My friend text me Saturday night asking for a favor, initially I thought, anything I can do to help! But the more I thought about it, the more saddened I was I had agreed. Then I put myself in Whitney's shoes. She moved to the ward a couple months prior to I. Her husband and her received this calling shortly after Thanksgiving. She mentioned to me that she wasn't sure how she felt about the calling initially, because she wouldn't get to go to Sunday School and Relief Society. She does this every Sunday. Because of them, other couples in the ward are able to attend their meetings. What a selfless act of service. That's what I love about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, all our teachers, and leaders are not paid. They simply offer their time as a service to Christ to help maintain the church. We call them "callings" as we are called of God to aide, assist, and selflessly give of our time and resources. 

The more I thought about Brother and Sister Lloyds act of service, the more I felt guilty that I initially felt put out! How could I deny the opportunity to help and serve! I was only thinking selfishly! So following Sacrament, I found Brother Lloyd who led me to the nursery room, informing of what I could expect. At home, when helping in the nursery, we would have several children - 8 to 10 or so. Here in the Oklahoma City 2nd ward, there are 5. That's all! 


As I was able to play with them, read them books, help them with snack time, and singing time, I was able to witness testimonies growing. It was a beautiful thing to me to witness these little ones love Christ. During sharing time, we would be singing I love to see the Temple. One of the little girls in the ward comments to the teacher, "I love the temple so much, one day when I get married I'm going to go there." I was so impressed! Three years old, and already has a goal and the testimony of the importance of temple marriage and being sealed for all time and eternity. It's loving parents like her's, who have taken the time to teach their children of the principles of the Gospel.

Although Brad and I are of different religions, Brad supports me 100%. I feel the spirit so strong in our home, and love that I have the support I so desperately need. I too know the importance of Temple marriage, and have a testimony of it. But that doesn't me I feel less blessed because I did not go through the Temple (yet). In fact, I feel exactly the opposite. I feel that by working, and gaining spiritual strength and knowledge, I will be more prepared to attend the temple, when the time is right.
 
So as I sit, and observe these little children, laugh, cry, fight, play. . . I can't help but feel blessed to have had the opportunity to help in the nursery. I couldn't have thought of a better or more spiritual way to spend my sabbath. 


I absolute love my ward. They are so supportive, and my bishopric is amazing. I am so blessed to have such a strong, and wonderful ward. After  church today, one of the councilors in the bishopric approached me and asked if he could ask some questions to get to know me. He asked where I went to school, what I studied, and a little about what brought me to Oklahoma. He then talked to a me a little about his family life, and offered support to me. He has been in my shoes, and wanted me to know there is an army of love and support in our ward for me already! I felt so loved, and continually blessed. This ward is exactly exactly what I need. The love and support is exactly what I need.
  





No comments:

Post a Comment