Tuesday, February 19, 2013

HAPPY THANKSGIVING - 2012

This Thanksgiving would be the first Holiday we would be able to spend with Brad's family. Last year, we were gone over all the holidays, working. It was such a special opportunity to get together with family. I haven't met Brad's Aunt and Uncle and Cousins that live locally, so I was real excited to get to know more of the family. The plan was made that dinner would be around 1, and we would all contribute a dish. I decided that I would introduce Brad (and his family) to a Noble family holiday dish tradition - carrot supreme. It's like a creamy carrot casserole. I was really nervous making it the night before Thanksgiving. I have never made carrot supreme on my own, so I was having a hard time recalling all the details - like how the consistency is supposed to be, and how thick the layers should be. But, with a few calls home to Mom, I was pretty confident it would be alright.

We picked up Brad's Mom around noon, and drove out to his Aunt and Uncles (Aunt Cheryl and Uncle Curtis). When we arrived their sons were there as well, with families. Soon after, Brad's Uncle Randy and Aunt Carol arrived. We all warmed up our dishes and sat down to eat. It was really a great opportunity to get to know the family a little more. They did end up finding out how old I am, and giving Brad a tough time. How it happened was everyone was discussing things they were freightend of, I mentioned my fear of crickets, and I think it's realated to that show that was on when I was little - fear factor. His cousin paused, then said, "wait, when you were little? How old are you?" It actually hasn't been that long ago that Fear factor was on prime time television and was a big hit. Therefore my comment of saying it was on when I was little, surprised them . . . Primarily because his cousins were in their 20's when it was around! GREAT! Caught! I had to respond with my age, Brad received a fist bump from his cousin, and his Aunt went on to comment about be just being a baby and discussing the age difference. I was a little embarrassed, but the fact is - our age difference has never ever really bothered me. To me, Brad isn't an old man yet! It is fun to tease him about, but it seems to bother everyone else, but us! That's all that should matter though, how we feel about it, and not what others think. 

After dinner, people started to trickle out, so we decided it was time for us to take off as well. We each got to-go dishes of everyone meal contributions for left overs. His Aunt Cheryl has been de-cluttering her home and had a bunch of Christmas decorations she made, and offered to give them to us. Because we are newly wed's and don't have many decorations and are always looking for good deals, I decided it was a great opportunity to ad to our collections. I couldn't be more grateful for her generosity. 

After all was said and done, we said our goodbyes and headed home. Once home, I made plans with Kerrie to go out for Black Friday. We hit Walmart, and Toy's R Us. Dustin and Brad stayed home (at the condo) and played video games, while us girls went out shopping. I witnessed a near fight, stole an item out of ladies cart, and waited in really long lines, but the deals I got, were worth it. I kind of don't mind the hustle and bustle of black Friday. I kind of enjoy the "experience" each year, and also the awesome buys I get.


Me packing up my Carrot Supreme Dish for Thanksgiving

Taking a moment to photograph ourselves for our First Thanksgiving together as a married couple!

My husband calls me Curly-Sue when I curl my long hair:) It makes me feel beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment