Sunday, February 19, 2012

BYU -----> UCO?

Brad recently suggested when we get back from Alaska returning to school to finish his degree. In order to do this he would need to transfere his exsisting credits from Oklahoma City Community College to a local university (either OU or UCO). For work, Brad is in charge of taking the UCO Hockey teams to their games, so he has gotten to know the coaches and team pretty well. As he suggested returning to school, we both felt that UCO would be a wise choice as we live in the city, and that is closer to the university then driving to Norman each and every day.

In suggesting we both return to school together, this would mean me transfereing my credits from BYU-Idaho. Not only is this a pain but i'm nervous. A regular university campus is much different then a private church school. Rules and regulations and the total feel of a real university will be much different. Even the fact that class wouldn't begin with a prayer will be hard to adjust too. I know that I could do it, and I'm only two years away from my degree. I know it's important to finish my eduacation, and now that most my generals are done, I do really well and really love what I learn. I know with the support of Brad that I could make it all the way through school, and what an accomplishmen that would finally be. Being a three time college drop-out isn't something I'm super proud of anyway. He knows that me finishing school is wise as well, especailly in today's society...But now i'm faced with - do I really want too?

I know growing up my parents raised us girls to be wise, independent, and strong. We were built to know how to cook, clean and hold our own in a household full of boys. Now that I live here in Oklahoma, and work, it seems so easy to say you know what, I would rather just work. Although I know I could be paid more by finishing my education - I feel burdended by the financials behind getting an education. Not only would I be putting myself through school, but then we would both be going to school at the same time, leaving us very limited time to take on part-time jobs. (side note - hope hobby lobby will work around my schedule)

Oh the joy of decisions. I know I should return to school. I mean, in retrospect, what is two years, right? Well, who knows if Brad and I can start a family in that amount of time. And if I want, looking at the other end of the spectrum, say I get pregnant - then it would be even harder for me to return to school. I know we both should really finish our educations. Not only is there the perk of getting paid more, but if something were to happen to Brad someday, it would be nice to be ahead of the game to rely on my teaching and knowledge a little bit. I didn't always dream of myself being miss home-wife anyways. I would like to raise my own kids at home (without daycare). I want my kids healthy, and I would like to be responsible for their learning at that young age. As they learn and grown, I feel that with my degree I could work at the schools while they are in school, really helping out the family financially as well as getting the same time off my kids do. I don't want to be a teacher, but office work, or aides, or subbing, or really anything. I could even be a school councilor with my degree, which I would really like. Although this all seems like it's in the distant future, I am suddenly aware that all my decisions I make today, effect my tomorrow. Therefore, if I do finish school, start a family, and end up working someday in that field, I need to be satisfied with the area I have picked - today. OH MY!

So I think that's what I will do. I will be done in like two years, and who knows how long Brad's education will take. It looks like he is majoring in Industrial Safety, also known as Safety and Compliance. Just in looking online, there are SOOOOO MANY companies hiring in that field. Although he knows he won't make many friends at work, the pay will be good, its something he has really grown to love the past few years (working in the coach industry and safety training). I know he will be good at it too. Seeing as I have finished most my generals, and most of them are transferable, I think Brad will be disappointed that he still has to take Math and English...Courses I'm pretty much through with!

So here is a blog directly related to my feelings and emotions. Who knows, maybe this plan will change tomorow. Maybe he will get a full-time year round job in Alaska and we will relocate there...Or maybe, we will buy a house in Norman and sell the condo and live and attend school there. Or maybe he will go to school and I work for a while, then I return when he is nearly done *that way we have some income*. But who really knows. All we can do is love each other, have faith that there is a plan for us, play that it works out to our benefit, and hold one another through the process. I'm lucky he supports me in all that I want and do, and he is lucky as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment