Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Painted Faces


When I went to the circus last week, my sister convinced me to get my face painted with an extra ticket that we were given. To be a good sport, I let my nephew pick what was to be painted on my face. Naturally he picked a butterfly. The lady who did it was so quick, obviously a face painting pro. While reflecting on my painted face, I got to thinking...

I once dated this boy - a long long time ago. He and his brother had this phrase about painted faces. They would use it in a joking manner - making fun of others around them. I never asked what they were talking about, but it was in reference to the stereotypical LDS folk. I've had years to contemplate this joke, and wonder .... what is a stereotypical LDS person? I mean, we all have our own values, morals, and standards. Most of which have been designed around church curriculum. Some that have been directed through modern day prophets, seers and revelators. Such as, only having one ear piercing.

When I was in High School, 16 years old, my parents and I moved from our stable home and lifestyle in Central Washington, to the Panhandle of Northern Idaho. A little insecure with my "best-self" and my image, I begged my parents to let me get a second ear piercing. I didn't really see the big deal, after all, it wasn't my nose, belly button, or lip (thank goodness!). My parents while back-to-school shopping finally allowed me to get my piercing at a store in the mall. I was so excited, and couldn't wait to see it. I loved that piercing, despite some of the cruel things my brothers and sisters had said. Also, despite the council given by the prophet, limiting women's ear piercings to one hole per ear. As I aged, and gained a personal testimony - I finally started to see what following the prophet meant. Following my senior year in high school, and having my piercing for two years, I took it out. I never again put earrings in the hole. I never spoke to anyone regarding the decision, and never pointed it out that I had removed the piercing. Now that hole is still there, open and evident. It has not closed, or faded away. It remains a permanent empty mark on my body. Although small, it will forever be there. A remembrance of my rebellion. Do I regret getting my second hole? Absolutely not, I feel as though it was a personal lesson and choice I needed to make on my own. I'm sure my parents felt the same way, and that's why they agreed to let me pierce it. I needed to have that personal experience to make my choice. Now to some, this may not seem like a big deal, but to me it truly was. I chose to follow Christ by listening to the promptings of the spirit, teaching and directing me to follow his apostles and prophets here on the earth today. So, little by little, I  became one of the "painted faces" my once upon a  time boyfriend referred too.

While in High School, I worked at a movie theater. I was employed at the theater from 2005-2011. It was here I would learn how to be a manager and lead others. I would learn the results of hard work, and endless efforts. I would observe working conditions that I would love to establish in my future work environments, and conditions I would never condone.  I worked with individuals who will forever hold a special place in my heart. I endured late nights, early mornings, stressful holidays and chaotic inventories. Through these experiences, the greatest lesson I learned was during my last year as a manager. We had recently brought in a new manager, who literally flipped the place upside down in a short amount of time. There was a lot of kick back from the employees who were terrified for their jobs. I was placed in the middle of the situation, acting as a liaison between employee's and management. I was to continue to enforce all company policies, while stressfully trying to work with the new manager. Although not always agreeing with his view on things, It was a tough lesson to learn to let go, go with the flow, and continue to work hard and support him. I had the blessing of having the hours of church off each and every Sunday, and was able to work my schedules around my Young Single Adult activities. I loved getting together with the other Singles in our area. Often times balancing activities with friends from the theater, and friends from church. Here is where I learned a great lesson. I realized, though this difficult balance, that I could be myself, wherever and with whomever. I could love Christ, and be a good example, in either setting. I learned that by sacrificing all my free time for work, it would pay off to be able to attend these scheduled activities keeping me spiritually fed, and socially networked. When the new manager came, I had to give up a small portion of that freedom. He was the one now who called the shots of when I was, and was not to be working. I started to miss some Sunday's. I gradually was unable to attend activities and institute. Although saddened by this, I learned another tough lesson, holding on to my testimony on my own free will...Not because of the environment I was submersed in. I had to chose to do my scripture study, and find time be spiritually fed. Even though it wasn't always convenient to me, I knew I had to do it to become closer with my Heavenly Father. I knelt each morning, and night in prayer. I again applied to attend BYU-I, and was accepted. Again reflecting on this time in my life, I had to spiritually do this completely on my own - make my own choices, and follow Christ...becoming one of those "painted faces."

Now as I diligently serve in the church, and look around,  I don't see any painted faces. I see individuals, all trying to be more like Christ. Trying to perfected in him. Sacrificing what seems like a lot, but is minute in comparison to the sacrifice he gave for us. I see families, attempting to teach their children to love Christ, and youth struggle to stay morally clean. I see young woman struggle with modest fashion, and young men fighting to keep their thoughts pure. I see believers of Christ, and Fishers of men. I see Christ-like examples and children trying to be like Jesus. I see parents limiting media, and technology- which to the outer world seems cruel. I see a mother, holding her baby with love, and fathers with their supportive arms wrapped tightly around her shoulders. I don't see any painted faces - or differences. I don't see how anyone could look at these disciples of Christ, and see anything different. I now feel sadness in my heart looking back on those jokes, and when they were made. Although I never asked where it came from . . . I too laughed alongside of those who were poking fun. Joking about how stereotypical someone wouldn't watch a Rated R movie, or whom would rather spend time with family on Monday night, then do something else. Laughing at those who playfully let loose with their children, to bring smiles to their faces. Chuckling at those that painted their faces at a carnival, fair or circus, to bring the family together, enjoyment to their lives, and fun and laughter to their children. It was a special thing for me to paint my face with my nieces and nephew. They thought it was great fun that we all matched with colored faces. Not one of us more special, or different...but all the same. I'm so grateful for the love of Christ in my life. I don't know where I would be without my Savior, and Redeemer. I'm so thankful my parents helped direct me on a path in my life, that I was free and able to chose my own way. I was able to exercise my agency to bring me were I am today.

How thankful I am for such supportive, loving parents, and the example they were to me. Although I'm sure I wasn't the easiest teenage, I know for a fact, that had I not had those opportunities to choose the right, or reflect on my decisions already made, my personal Testimony of Christ, and relationship with my Heavenly Father, would not be the same. I hope as I serve as a Young Women's leader, that I can offer these girls, who struggle with the way of life today, a sense of hope, and guidance. That they might feel and hear my testimony, and come to know Christ for themselves!

As for these boys, they are all married now I believe. Although I don't have any contact with them whatsoever, I know they too probably feel that same sadness in their hearts, for making fun of those who are trying to "be like Jesus. Painted face, or not. Stereotypical, or not. Believers, or not. But none the less, Children of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment