Wednesday, March 12, 2014

When it all comes together

The more I have had the opportunity to accept, and learn about Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, the more I come to understand and appreciate the changes that have been happening in my body. 3 years ago, I would have never guessed I was experiencing the very side effects of those changes. I can remember suffering from severe headaches, and not knowing where they came from. I would be in so much pain, at times the only way my body could cope was sleep, or throwing up. I would lay in bed, and cry - wishing the pain away. I would pray, day and night, that my head pains would go away. Every doctor I discussed the pains with, didn't understand. Many of my family members thought I was faking it, becoming a hypochondriac. The only way I could put into words what I was experiencing, was by relating it to the only thing that would paint a picture of how I felt. I described my pain often, on a scale of 1 to 10. Ten being the highest level of pain of course. I would explain that it felt like someone had jammed a screw driver in my head, and slowly was turning it, causing excruciating, intolerable pain. At the time, the only one who really understood, or didn't make me feel like I was faking it, was my mom. She would creep into my bedroom at night when I was suffering from my pain, quietly she would kneel down by my head, and rub my scalp (attempting to relieve pressure). She would bundle my massive amount of hair in her palm and slowly pull up, again relieving tension. Although it didn't completely rid my pain, it was the only thing that helped. At times, I felt she was the only person who understood.
 
When I left home, and moved to college, I saw a doctor in Rexburg. The doctor ordered a MRI on my brain, but found nothing that would be of concern at that time, that would cause these horrendous headaches. They never could give me an answer as to why, at times, I would feel as though I was dying. My dad, somewhat reluctantly, flew down to be with me while I went through the MRI. I remember being terrified. He explained to me how it worked, and waited with me to hear the results later that afternoon. Again, nothing on the scans that would cause this pain, I felt again, like no one knew or could believe what I was going through. I had high hopes that the scan would offer up some answers as to why I was going through that much pain.
 
A few months later, I was referred to a nurse practitioner that my mom saw. I scheduled an appointment for a routine exam. It was at that, that she explained to me many of the symptoms she noticed in my body, were signs of PCOS. She didn't diagnose me with anything, but did tell me to get on some daily vitamins, watch my weight, and let her know if I have anymore troubles. 4 months go by, and I finally give up. I couldn't go home from work sick anymore. I couldn't be driving a tour bus down the road (responsible for 50 passengers) and continue suffering with the pain. I called home to the Nurse practitioner and asked her what my options were. It was then she suggested that we try birth control. Once I started taking the prescription, I noticed a significant improvement.  I may only get 2-3 headaches of that severe pain, a month. I also was able to regulate when they were coming on. I knew if I didn't get enough rest, and food, I would start to feel the pain. When I got back from Alaska and went in to see the nurse for my routine yearly check-up, she decided to test to make sure I wasn't anemic. Tests came back negative, and left us still at square one.
 
I dealt with these symptoms for years, and it wasn't until Brad and I decided to try to start our family, and I stopped taking birth control, that we realized the problem was much bigger than just headaches. A year ago exactly (down to the day) I stopped taking birth control. Brad and I celebrated our 1 year anniversary, and he took off to Florida for some job training. That marked the weekend of my last menstrual cycle. Now that it has been a year, and I haven't been able to kick my body into gear, we decided it was time to seek medical advice.
 
I just went through another round of tests last week! It was then, when discussing all the issues, that she was able to do some tests, and officially diagnose me with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. We know have a direction of where we need to go. I have been placed on a low-carb diet, in preparation for medication. The doctor would like to see my body be trained to produce the necessary hormones to kick-start a menstrual cycle, before attempting to medicate and trick my body. I really like my doctor, she seemed very knowledgeable about what it is exactly, and why my body was doing crazy things the past few years. Although at first it was hard to hear that there is something wrong, it also was a relief to finally know what it is that is actually wrong, and what we need to do about it. In sharing with a few close individuals what Brad and I are going through, I realized that many, whom I look up too, also deal with the same things I do. PCOS is fairly common nowadays. Many offered words of wisdom, and advice of what worked for them. I feel so fortunate/blessed to have the support system Brad and I do.
 
So we have changed our diet completely. Doctor advised I not shock my body and start a drastic diet. She recommended that I try what has proven to work for most, a low-carb diet. She sent me home with some suggestions, and research. We went to the grocery store last weekend, and you should have seen our cart. Full of fruits and veggies. It was a huge change from what we are used too. I can honestly say after one week, I feel a lot healthier even! I was so amazed at all the foods we purchased, I even took a picture of our items at check-out.
 
 
There was a good balance of my food vs. Brad's food...As you can see. We also noticed that our bill was about -$75 less then our normal shopping trip. This was the first of many, many healthy changes in our lives.
 
Like I said, we are so blessed to have so much love and support surrounding us. Although we are still struggling to accept the fertility issues, we have nothing but hope, faith, and a prayer that everything continues to happen for a greater purpose. I no longer want to cry when someone asks how I am, and I no longer want to yell at the next person who asks when I'm going to start having kids. Many assume that being young, there would be no issues whatsoever. Little do they know.
 
I was once given the best advice possible from a college professor. At the time, I thought it made sense what he said, but why was he saying it. My roommate Aly and I were pretty close to our Child Development teacher - Brother Rowe. We once had to go to his office to turn in paperwork, and were talking to him about his family. He then told us what would forever stick in my mind. He said, it's never appropriate to ask someone "when they are going to have kids." He recommended to us that we could seriously offend someone someday over that question. He relayed to us that you never know what that person is going through, or if they are even able to have children! Like I mentioned, it made sense what he said, but never in my mind did I think I would appreciate that piece of personal advice so much. He was right, even before I was going through, what I'm going through now. I now understand, appreciate, and love Brother Rowe for his words of wisdom, that later in life, would hold such a high place in my heart.
 
Although we all deal with our own battles, this is my own little struggle. With the help, love and support of my husband, family and friends, I know we aren't alone in this. We have an army behind us. & no matter what happens in our future, its for a reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment