Monday, March 3, 2014

Diagnosis

For several years I have suffered terrible migraines, and they were never able to tell me why? This past week, I went to see a OBGYN about some other health issues I have been experiencing, and found out that it all - more than likely - is related.
 
I have been diagnosed with PCOS, which stands for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. After doing some research about what this meant, I found this description:
 
Polycystic ovary syndrome is a condition in which a woman has an imbalance of a female sex hormones. This may lead to menstrual cycle changescysts in the ovaries, trouble getting pregnant, and other health changes.
 
Some of the symptoms that occur are as follows:
 
  • Menstrual problems. These can include few or no menstrual periods
  • Hair loss from the scalp and hair growth (hirsutism) other places
  • Acne and oily skin
  • Fertility problems, such as not releasing an egg (not ovulating) or repeat miscarriages.
  • Insulin resistance and too much insulin (hyperinsulinemia), which can cause things like upper body obesity and skin tags.
  • Depression or mood swings. For more information, see the topic Depression or Depression in Children and Teens.
  • Breathing problems while sleeping (obstructive sleep apnea).
 
As scary as this diagnosis seems, I feel somewhat at ease that we finally know what's going on. It was driving me crazy that I have been struggling with all these problems and stress. Luckily, I don't feel I have faced the depression part - too much. Although, it has started setting in.
 
My course of action:
 
I plan to lose 20 lbs before my next appointment in three months. Then, I will begin taking hormones in order to kick-start my system to produce those hormones on their own. Because I have been officially diagnosed, doctors can now focus on treatment, rather then a guessing game. We will continue to pray for guidenance, strength, and peace as we begin this journey and road to acceptance and action.

No comments:

Post a Comment