Thursday, February 21, 2013

St. Thomas - 8th Port


 The anticipation for this particular day had been building since my Birthday in June. For my Birthday, I asked Brad to put the money aside that I might go swimming with the dolphins on our honeymoon. As hard as it was for him not to get me anything, he saved the money, and made arrangements to make my Birthday wish come true. Only, he did me one better. You see, when Brad and I first started dating, he took me to Seward, Alaska, where we did a fjords tour with whale watching, and also visited the Alaska Sea Life Center. While on this trip, I mentioned to him the Sea Lions are pretty close to my favorite animal. Every chance he gets, if there is something Sea Lion, he is constantly trying to get me there so I can see them. On this trip, we had no idea, but there was a tour where you could actually swim, and interact with these giant animals. When Brad told me "Happy Birthday" I got the biggest smile on my face. I have the best husband!

During our second trip to St. Thomas is when we would get to go back to Coki Beach, and visit Coral World, which is where the harbor the Sea Lions for the tour. Upon our arrival, it was explained to us that the three Sea Lions they have, are constantly undergoing changes. Because these are trained animals, they don't want them to get used to any type or routine. The only thing that stays the same in the lives is the amount of food/type of food they are fed each day. Other then that, everything is a variable (meaning changing). When they eat, where the swim, who gets to see guests on a tour, which tour they do, what tricks they perform on the tours, what other Sea Lion they get to play with...It's always changing. Therefore, they cautioned us that everything would be at random, and we need to keep calm, and follow their instructions.

The first Sea Lion we would meet would be Franco. He is just over 900+ lbs, and has cadiracs on his eyes, therefore he doesn't see well. The only way he knows where to go, or what to expect is the feeling of his whiskers, and sounds. The guides took extra caution to speak loudly so Franco could hear all the directions they were giving.

Meet Franco

This grin you see on my face - wouldn't leave!

Franco loved us!

Because he couldn't see too well, he typically would plow right through you in the water when being called across the pool. It was your responsibility to get out of his way, and let me tell you, he was a fast swimmer!

He liked swimming in between us!

Trying to swim away so he could swim in between

Franco enjoying getting pet



Brad and I posing with Franco and another family on the tour


one-on-one time with Franco

I couldn't be happier with my Birthday present


 Next, they took us out of the pool with Franco, and had us interact with two other Sea Lions. One we would feed, get kisses from, and watch do tricks. The other, was relatively new to the environment, and still felt uncomfortable in many scenarios. They were still working with the second Sea Lion to get him caught up with the others as far as his comfort zone when dealing with humans. Because of this, they didn't let us touch him...he just practiced the tricks he knew.

Me tossing a fish to the first Sea Lion

Hoping he would catch it!

Because he got fish on his face, she had him take a little shower. He would pull a rope and the water would turn on and rinse his face.

Giving me kisses!

Petting him:)

Getting kisses from both loves of my life!

Brad enjoying a nasty, fishy kiss (as he describes it)

Which resulted in this face!

The second, less comfortable Sea Lion, play soccer.


Then blowing us kisses!

How could anyone not see the beauty in this smile!

They are so smart, I just can't help but smile every time I see these pictures.

Then it was time to say goodbye to the Sea Lions and rinse our hands and feet.

After our tour was done, we purchased the thumb drive of all our photos, and still had time to walk around Coral world. We were able to see a Sea Turtle rehabilitation pool, a pool of sharks and sting rays, an aquarium, we even got to go down in the dome, which is underneath the water, completely enclosed in glass, so you can see the coral reef in its natural environment. 

Sea Turtle


Rehabilitation pool

Holding a Star fish

Holding a Sea Cucumber

It had tickling things on the bottom I wasn't expecting, and I dropped it back in the water on accident when it startled me! Brad, of course caught it on camera.

Taking a moment to appreciate the wild iguanas. The lady in the green dress was not happy I was this close to the iguana...to the locals, they are a nuisance.

Brad walking around the aquarium


Shark Tank - nap time

Watching the Sharks and Sting Rays

A Sting Ray hiding



After enjoying a long day at Coral world, the taxi picked us back up, and returned us to the ship. It was literally a dream come true. I cannot believe how many wonderful adventures and beautiful things Brad and I have been blessed to see and do. I am so grateful for my husband, and all he does to provide for anything and everything to bring a smile to my face. Its always the little things he does that I can appreciate...But sometimes, when he goes above and beyond, I feel so special. Like this day for instance, he didn't have to take me swimming with Sea Lions, he could have opted for the tour of Swimming with the Dolphins. But I'm so grateful that he jumped through the hoops he did to get us on this tour for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment