Thursday, February 21, 2013

Dominica - 9th Port

 Dominica. What a beautiful day! It was so hot outside, but because we had an afternoon tubing/rafting tour, we decided to get off the boat first thing, and enjoy the local market and downtown area. We really enjoyed the people of Dominica. They weren't pushy at all, still willing to barter, and very talented individuals. In Dominica, Brad bought me two beautiful beach dresses. It will be nice to have for our future vacations. They also can be worn for summer gatherings as well, or a simple swim suit cover up. I got many compliments of my dresses on board the ship later on.

Welcome To Dominica!



Brad enjoying the local architecture, and markets

All the side streets were full of small vendor tents.

Found a dock where we could take photos of us with the ship. We look like ants!


We are so small, we blend right in!


Following our walk around town, we went back to the cruise terminal to meet our tour. We boarded a van-like bus (about 25 seats) and headed to the river. We originally were told the transport time was about a half hour. but it seemed we kept driving and driving and driving! Our tour guide finally announced when we got to a road closed sign, that typically we would take that road to get to the river, but due to road construction, we had to go around. Again, we kept driving and driving and driving! Now, we had heard they actually filmed Pirates of the Caribbean here in Dominica, and as we drove, I could see why. The island was ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL! From every angle. He took us through some very rural towns, where the roads winded through the mountains, with no guard rails, and was about one lane. We would fly around corners, get honked at by cars coming up behind us (which was a courteous way of saying, the minute it opens up I'm coming around you whether its safe or not) Our driver gave a little naration along the way, but also noted due to hazardous road conditions, it would limit what he would have time to share, as he would be more focused on driving - Thank goodness! 

After a TWO HOUR DRIVE, we finally arrived to our destination. The first question asked, "do we take the same road back?" His response, "yes ma'am, there is only one way." GREAT! We looked at the time and realized if the drive was two hours, and the tour was an hour and twenty five, how in the world would we even make it back in time to the ship!!! We started to get a little nervous, but he assured us he would get us there. We got out of the bus, grabbed helmets, life jackets, and tubes, and hopped in the river. 

It was extremely hard for Brad and I to stay together. With about 50 others around, we continually got separated. Another couple on the tour, had participated in another tour we had done earlier in the week, so I was able to chat with them anytime Brad went missing or got caught in the rapids without me. We would pass each other and wave as we went by! It was much too difficult to try and stay together, although, we did our best. The guide found a fresh coconut, and cracked it open. Somehow Brad got a piece of that, and all his worries went away. I looked back to see Brad, spinning through the rapids, not even holding on, getting bounced around out of control, and enjoying his coconut. I see what the important things are in life. He was truly enjoying himself. 

All-in-all it was a very relaxing and fun tour. I really enjoyed the river, the guides, the weather, the others participating, and most of all the memories Brad and I would walk away with. I would definitely recommend the rafting/tubing tour in Dominica. (I might recommend asking if the road construction is complete though, it was a horrendous drive).

We arrived back to the bus, dried off, grabbed our seat and held on for dear life. The trip back would have two near death experiences, and white knuckles the entire way. Our driver turned a two hour drive, into an hour and half to get us back on time. At one point, the bus behind us was honking, and honking, trying to pass, we were flying around the roads, people walking on the side, oncoming cars around curves, and a bus was following us with about 3 feet distance - trying to pass! ARE YOU KIDDING ME! As a bus driver myself, I thought, this is so dangerous! Once, we came around a corner, and skidded to a halt when we met face to face with a Mack truck. The drivers exchanged yells and we got around. Next we would come face to face with a little white car. Now, most would say, this is the driving culture down there. Our driver would even later try and convince us that he is used to these conditions, and he wasn't worried. But, I beg to differ. Brad and I were sitting right behind the driver. We heard first hand his remarks when we came around those corners, and we knew what his true reactions was. Reassuring everyone he was used to it and had it under control was only to get better tips my making everyone feel better about almost dieing. I'm not exaggerating either, it was terrifying. I told Brad, our only reprieve was actually booking this tour through Princess, meaning if something happens, like say...oh, we die? They will cover everything completely. That's whats nice about booking Princess Tours, everything is certified, backed, and accounted for. So, if anything should happen, Princess will assist in getting things sorted out. We knew this because of our experience working for the company, but the other on the bus? Not so much. We looked at his spedometer at one time and we doing about 70! One lane roads, bumpy and winding, and he is doing 70? I couldn't wait to get back to the ship.

Finally we arrived back to the ship, safely - thank goodness. We had about 20 minutes to spare before take-off. Brad and I mentioned to our server that night of our experience. The next day, he told us the couple who sat at our table right after us told him the same story, that they were on our bus. He said, "my advice, beware of the island taxis". Guess we know that now!



Our driver stopped at the beginning of the tour so we could see the pineapple plants growing

No comments:

Post a Comment