Monday, February 18, 2013

Meet Hurley!

 
 After my parents left, I felt a great deal of saddness for days. We had a few more small projects to do, but I just couldn't get the motivation to do them. I cried the whole night my parents left, it was so hard. But I'm a big girl. Brad and I have tossed around the idea of getting a pet for about 6 months, but just haven't been at the right place at the right time. So, we decided, maybe getting a kitty would help me snap out of my lack of motivation. We decided we could start looking, but we weren't in any real hurry to get one. We stopped into the Oklahoma City Animal Shelter, and went into their kitty rooms. Brad pointed immediately to a cat, and said, I like that one! So I walked over, and picked it up and brought it over to Brad. This small orange tabby cuddled up in between us and nestled into our chests. It was love at first site. We agreed we should walk through the other 6 cat rooms before really considering taking this cat home. We went through the others, and there was not a connection with any other cat. One room there was a little kitten (TINY) that was all over Brad. Meowing, climbing up his leg, and carrying on. When we picked him up, he was climbing all over Brad's head and clawing and being a complete mess. This kitty was far too active, there is no way we could bring him home. We slowly walked through the puppies and shelter dogs. *Side note - am I the only one that has a really hard time walking through all those kennels and passing by all those sad puppies? It breaks my heart to see some of them have been abused, attacked or plain unloved. It's almost worse for me to see it first hand, it doesn't make me feel like I want to take it home and love it, it does just the opposite. Poor dogs! I get sick to my stomach and feel all sad. End side note * 

As we walked back to the entrance, Brad asked me, "So what do you think about the first cat we held?" I mentioned I want to see him play or interact a little more, so we went back to the room, found him, found his papers, and played with him a little. He kept grabbing his collar that was stapled to his paperwork and playing with it as it jingled. The shelter removes collars and rabies tags so the cats don't try to play with each others and injure themselves. We knew we couldn't leave there without him, we already loved him. We paid $25 dollars for him, and named him Hurley. Little did we know, Hurley would quickly become the center of many adventures, playful nights, and early mornings.

The shelter put him in a temporary transport box, we stopped into petco for food, litterbox and accessories and toys. Then, it was off to show Hurley his new home!

The moment of truth!

Curious Kitty

He very cautiously explored the house for a few hours

Then he decided it must be ok, and started to play!

This small cat has stolen both our hearts!

No comments:

Post a Comment