Right around Christmas time, Stephanie and I started looking for a small dog for mom and dad. Without any luck, we settled on getting mom and dad an iPad rather then a puppy. Recently, mom has been looking at little Pomeranians, but pure bred puppies have been horrendously expensive.
On Saturday, I took Dad with me to the shelter to get my kitties rabies shots. After completing the shot process, we decided to walk through the shelter to see what kind of animals they had. When walking through the dogs, we happened to see two, little white Pomeranians. After discussing a little we moved on and looked at the rest of the dogs. Once home, we spoke to mom about what we found, and she just had to go look! When I told Stephanie, she too loaded up all the kids, and headed to the shelters. We got to hold and play with all the puppies, but fell in love with the littlest Pomeranian. When we inquired about the Pom's, the shelter said they didn't know too much about them, other then they came in together, dropped off by the son of a deceased woman he hadn't spoken with in ten years. They also came from a home that had a few pets. But that is pretty much all they said.
After we left, we discussed what we should do, and even did a little bit or research. Monday during my lunch, Stephanie and I met at the shelter when it opened, to adopt the dogs. When we started filling out the paperwork and discussing which dog we wanted, the shelter employee informed us that the Pomeranians were a package deal! After arguing for quite awhile, they had insisted the dogs would not thrive apart. That if we adopted one, we must adopt both.
We spoke with dad about all our options, and he suggested we go ahead and get both. If mom didn't want both, we would see how they did apart, and mom would keep her baby, and once healthily separating the two doggies, we would re-home the momma dog. We did find out from the shelter they speculated it was mother and daughter puppies. One 3 years old, the other just 1 year old. Although we felt that saying the dogs wouldn't thrive apart was a personal opinion, the shelter lady would not back down. She insisted it wouldn 't be healthy, and would be cruel to dogs to separate them. Stephanie and I took one dog in the meeting room, and left the other in the kennel, they appeared to do just fine? But, we decided to go with Dad's suggestion. We were going to adopt both dogs. We went to fill out the paperwork. When I started to fill out the section of the living environment, it asked if I rented or owned. I checked the "Rent" box. When the shelter official realized, she mentioned if I rent, I need a letter from my landlord. Because the dogs are not permanently going to be staying with me, we decided to have dad come back and fill out the shelter paperwork, so that his address and phone numbers were the ones on the adoption forms. (He has to be present) While I went back to work, Stephanie went back with dad to the shelter, and picked up the two puppies. We originally had heard that we couldn't take them with us the day of the adoption - but for some reason, they decided to go ahead and let us take them, since the Vet couldn't get the puppies in for spaying for two days.
That night, Stephanie hosted a Cinco De Mayo party. We didn't want mom to hear the dogs bark in the garage (being in a new environment we weren't sure how they would do!). Once it started thundering and lightening outside, the dogs started to bark. We put on loud music to drown them out hoping mom wouldn't hear. But anytime someone walked in front of the garage outside, the dogs would bark. We had no clue how we were going to keep this from Mom! Not to mention, all the kids knew about the two dogs in the garage as well, so they were begging to tell Grandma. After the party was over, and cleaned up, Mom & Dad and I started gathering our things. I suggested we go through the garage to stay out of the rain. Mom slipped on her shoes, and led the way. When she opened the door, she jumped when she heard a dog barking. Turning to tell Stephanie there was a dog in her garage, we all just started laughing, and saying "Happy Mother's Day!"
Her comment immediately was, "What are we going to do with TWO dogs!" She was shocked, what a surprise, not only one puppy - but two! We cleaned up after the dogs, and dad created a bed for them in Stephanie's one piece tub/shower combo for her unfinished basement bathroom. He taped cardboard up, put blankets in the tub, and the two puppies bedded down for the night.
Mom stewed over some names for a couple days. I text her about 15 names that stuck out to me, and she actually picked two of those names. Lady, and Bella. Suits them perfectly!
Because they couldn't be bathed for 10 days following their surgery, and they were in pretty rough condition as it was (muddy, dirty, matted, stinky) we decided to bathe them before taking them in to the Vet. Lady loved the bath. I did her whole bath time process almost completely by myself. She did wonderful. She was no rookie to the water - or hairdryer. She loved every minute of it. She wasn't a dog to try to escape the tub! Even when drying her, she laid on her back, paws high in the air, soaking up the heat and love/attention being given. Bella on the other hand, probably has never once seen a bath. She freaked at any noise, and fought every step of the way. Mom did most of the bathing part, but it took Dad and I to assist to help dry her. She wasn't having any of it. But, they both look like little princess now.
Bella's Bath Time
Lady's Bath Time (Hurley checking out the action)
Lady was so easy, look at her so content!
She even let me take a picture of her all wrapped up when I took her out of the tub!
Lady even rode well in the car the next morning for her Doc. Appt!
Bella was another story. She took some sweet talking, heavy breathing, and strength to contain her energy while bathing.
Me attempting to hold her so mom can trim her belly hairs
She pants as mom finishes her drying!
She looks like a little cuddly bear cub:)
All in all I think mom is so happy with her new puppy. I don't think she will end up keeping lady, but it's probably for the better. Bella is real timid and shy in her mom's presence. Always hiding in the shadows of her mom's limelight. It would probably be best for Bella if Lady had her own home. I so wish I could take in Lady. She is a precious dog, and such a beautiful personality. I have loved having her in my home the past couple weeks, and am somewhat scared for the day she has to leave. I've become just a little attached to her:) But, my husband said we have too many animals at our farm, and we both agree neither of us at this point in time, has a schedule conducive to the care a dog requires. So we will continue to wait, for that special day when we can take in our own puppy:)
No comments:
Post a Comment